Just an hour’s drive from Wagga Wagga but a world away, The Snowy Valleys extends from the foothills, to the South West Slopes region of the spectacular Kosciuszko National Park. The region boasts picturesque mountains, rivers, creeks, lakes, forests and includes the townships of Adelong, Tumut, Tumbarumba and Khancoban, and smaller villages of Jingellic, Rosewood, Tooma, Yarrangobilly and Laurel Hill.
Celebrating the merger of Tumut and Tumbarumba Shires you can enjoy breathtaking landscapes, crisp mountain air and friendly small towns. There is something for everyone in each season as the region boasts picturesque mountains, rivers, creeks, lakes, and forests. The Snowy Valleys is ideal for recreational activity and is popular for camping, bushwalking, boating, fishing, and cycling.
Rich in history from goldmining, timber, cattle, and the cleverly engineered Snowy Mountains Scheme, the region has an intriguing heritage.
For the foodies, be sure to visit the locals towns cafes, restaurants and cellar doors, featuring seasonal menus and local produce. Tumbarumba is one of the coolest wine-growing regions in NSW, specialising in chardonnay and pinot noir, and a visit to a local cellar door to taste the award winning wines is an absolute must.
Top 5 things to do in the Snowy Valleys region
- Enjoy the beauty of the Sugar Pine Walk at Laurel Hill.
- Take a short walk to picturesque Paddys River Falls.
- Blowering Dam is a great spot to camp, fish or – for the more adventurous – water ski. The foreshores are home to numerous kangaroos and emus can also often be seen. The drive alongside the dam on the Snowy Mountains Highway offers beautiful views and spectacular photo opportunities.
- See some of the most beautiful caves in Australia at Yarrangobilly Caves, just an hours’ drive past Tumut. Guided tours operate daily and the thermal pool is perfect for a dip anytime!
- Learn about the Snowy Mountain Scheme with a tour of Murray 2 Power Station at Khancoban.