What the locals say: Nathan McIntosh
Nathan created the hugely popular Gears + Beers event with his father to celebrate what was unique about the landscape around Wagga and provide a cycling event which catered for the non-riders.
“When riders go to events, often there’s no place to meet up afterwards, or something that would entice the family to come along too. With the craft beer and cider festival it makes a great day out for everyone.”
There are six rides to choose from ranging from 9km to the 105km road race and much talked about Dirty 130.
“The Dirty 130 was inspired by the classic cycling events of France – except we substituted cobblestones for gravel roads to get a perfect, challenging mix.
“I love riding – and I love riding in Wagga. Within five minutes riding you can be free from the urban sprawl and on quiet, picturesque roads – in any direction.”
Nathan’s top five things to do in Wagga Wagga + Surrounds:
- The Saturday bunch ride: A bunch of us (hence the name) meet at a café early on Saturday and knock out 75 or 100 k’s through green fields, it’s an excellent way to kick off the weekend.
- Wagga Wagga Art Gallery: My wife, young daughter and I call into the art gallery whenever we can. It has something for all of us – great travelling art shows, smaller really interesting exhibitions and kids’ activities.
- Summer nights at Thirsty Crow: I do a summer evening ride that finishes at around 8pm at Thirsty Crow. It’s a great place that provides the perfect organic, authentic experience to go with the pizza and beer on a summer night.
- Collins Park: With a little girl to keep amused we spend a lot of time in Collins Park which is near to home. We pack a BBQ and head off – it’s a great park to just relax in.
- The Filthy 50: My favourite ride is actually the inspiration for the Filthy 50 that was introduced to Gears + Beers this year. I think one of the main reasons I came up with the course as I like riding past my favourite building in Wagga – the National Life Sciences Hub at CSU.
First published: 28 Sep 2017.