What the locals say: Campbell Meeks
Campbell Meeks believes the simpler, easier life is what we’re all cut out for. And since moving to Wagga from Sydney over ten years ago, finishing his Wine Science degree at Charles Sturt University (CSU), then becoming head winemaker at CSU Boutique Winery, you wouldn’t be surprised to hear this belief has only got stronger.
“11 minutes to work, means more time in the day. Add to that a family home with a yard big enough for a veggie patch and chickens and get togethers with nice neighbours and you’ve created a happy life,” said Campbell.
“At CSU Boutique Winery we focus on creating small batch, boutique wines using interesting and sometimes old, near forgotten techniques that stay true to the fruit – and I absolutely love my job.”
Campbell’s top five things to do in Wagga Wagga + Surrounds:
- CSU Boutique Winery cellar door: I wasn’t joking when I said I absolutely loved my job. Talking to people at the cellar door and providing education on the wines they’re tasting means they can literally taste the technique.
- Beer gardens: A good beer garden with a craft beer in hand is an excellent place to be – Thirsty Crow, Beer Deluxe or Romano’s, are all great options.
- Cork and Fork, Wagga Beach: These are such great events. A Friday summer evening with music, beer, wine and food vans on the banks of the river – it’s a real winner.
- Botanic Gardens: We live nearby, and with two young kids, we’re regular visitors to the park and the zoo, where we know all the animals. It’s a great afternoon out for the kids.
- Oasis Regional Aquatic Centre: At the moment the kids are in swimming lessons, in between ballet lessons (kids can do everything here!). The Oasis means we can swim all year round and suits even our youngest child.
First published: 06 Oct 2017.